Things to consider when reading the bible;
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there a principle to follow?
Thoughts to consider
- The colours used for the priests; gold, blue, purple and scarlet are the same colours as the materials and yarns used in the tabernacle. These materials imply that the priests are close to God and act as his representatives to the people (e.g., in overseeing sacrifices, in pronouncing blessings, in teaching God’s word, in administering justice, and in their example of holiness).
- How and why did God give special status to the sons of Aaron? Think about their status as representatives. Who else is a representative on our behalf?
- What would the precious stones mean to the Israelites in their relationship with God? Think about why they were placed over the heart.
- What a messy business! Day and night animals are being slaughtered, there is blood and gore everywhere. I don’t imagine many would go to church on Sunday if it was like that. The constant sacrifice of animals is a graphic reminder to the people that sin has brutal consequences. Blood has to be spilt for it and if it wasn’t animals it would have to be the people. Spend some time just thanking God that we are in the New Covenant and that Jesus’ sacrifice was sufficient for all, not one more animal needs to be killed. He paid the full price for all our sins, hallelujah!