Read Luke 4:14-31
Theme: life of Jesus
Click below if you want me to read this to you
And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and a report about him went out through all the surrounding country. 15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read. 17 And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written,
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
20 And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21 And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” 22 And all spoke well of him and marveled at the gracious words that were coming from his mouth. And they said, “Is not this Joseph’s son?” 23 And he said to them, “Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, ‘Physician, heal yourself.’ What we have heard you did at Capernaum, do here in your hometown as well.” 24 And he said, “Truly, I say to you, no prophet is acceptable in his hometown. 25 But in truth, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heavens were shut up three years and six months, and a great famine came over all the land, 26 and Elijah was sent to none of them but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. 27 And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.” 28 When they heard these things, all in the synagogue were filled with wrath. 29 And they rose up and drove him out of the town and brought him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they could throw him down the cliff. 30 But passing through their midst, he went away.
31 And he went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the Sabbath,
Thoughts to consider
Notice firstly that Jesus returns in the power of the spirit. We will see this again and again as we go through the gospels and it is a very important point. Jesus was not calling on his divine attributes, he had voluntarily laid them aside when He became a man. He was only doing what the Father was leading Him to do through the Holy Spirit. Meaning we can do the same kind of things through the Spirit working within us.
It must have been electric in the room as Jesus reveals, with authority, that He is the messiah. No wonder everybody’s eyes were fixed on Him.
· Did you know you are living in the year of the Lords favour? I believe this passage from Isaiah speaks not just of Physical freedom but spiritual as well. What situations are you aware of that need God’s favour? Pray for them now.
· I used to think that the people got so angry because Jesus was disrespecting their home town but I actually think it was because Jesus was telling the people about times when God overlooked Israel and started blessing Gentiles. Can you think of other reasons why they got so angry?
· Do you ever get jealous when others are getting blessed (perhaps you feel they are less deserving than you!) rather than you? Ask for God’s forgiveness.
· Do you speak the truth in love and people still get angry with you and don’t understand? Don’t be put off, as a follower of Jesus you must expect the same things to happen to you as happened to Him.
· I would love to have seen how Jesus managed to walk away from a mob who wanted to kill Him, His time had not yet come. Trust God that He will protect you and things that do happen to you, God will help you through them.
Father I firstly want to thank you that we are living in the days of your favour, that you want to use us to proclaim freedom to the poor and those in different types of captivity. Thank you that you want to restore blind eyes, not just physically but give light to those living in spiritual darkness. May your kingdom come, more and more in my life as I speak the truth. I know I will get opposition but I trust you to help me through each step, In Jesus mighty name, amen.