Read Luke 5:1-11
Theme: life of Jesus
Click below if you want me to read this to you
On one occasion, while the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, he was standing by the lake of Gennesaret, 2 and he saw two boats by the lake, but the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets. 3 Getting into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, he asked him to put out a little from the land. And he sat down and taught the people from the boat. 4 And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.” 5 And Simon answered, “Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets.” 6 And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking. 7 They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 8 But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.” 9 For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish that they had taken, 10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” 11 And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him.
Thoughts to consider
· When the word of God is proclaimed properly people are desperate to hear it. Pray for your church leaders that they will preach the word of God boldly and pray that crowds would come to hear it.
· Be ready for God to speak to you supernaturally, His commands will not always follow conventional wisdom but if we choose to be obedient God will use us mightily.
· Winning people to Jesus is not always an individual event, many people in your church play a part in reaching the lost. Think about your part in your local church, are you using all your talents and God given gifting to build His kingdom?
· Do you ever ask other people for help? Sometimes you are robbing other people of the joy of helping and serving you by being too proud to ask. Have a think for a moment and ask yourself if this is appropriate to you.
· We are called to make disciples, what steps are you taking in your life to do this?
Father I thank you for your supernatural power which immediately achieves results. I can sometimes toil for ages in my own strength and achieve nothing. Help me to tap into your power by filling me with your Holy Spirit today. I’m sorry when I don’t obey you, give me a child-like trust. You have called me, like the disciples, to be a fisher of men, help me to get better at this, in Jesus name I pray, amen.