Things to consider when reading the bible;
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there a principle to follow?
Thoughts to consider
- Chapter 29 sees Job reminiscing about the good old days. Do you ever look back and think what might have been? There’s two ways of doing this; you could look back and start to get bitter about what used to be and what is not happening now, or you could use the past to motivate you to strive to improve your life now.
- After Job has remembered the good times of the past in chapter 29, chapter 30 sees him crashing back to reality. Apart from losing his possessions, family and health, he now describes the situation where men are mocking him. Do you ever get mocked for your faith? Do you know somebody else who does? Ask God to help you (and them). Remember that He is with you and if men are mocking you because you follow Jesus, remember that they mocked him too. Those who endure for His sake will one day receive a crown of life (James 1v12, Revelation 2v10)
- Job 31v1 is another great verse to meditate on and memorise. It is real wisdom not to look lustfully at members of the opposite sex. This refers to pornography of course but not exclusively so. It could be relevant to anything you set your eyes on, start to think about and then being drawn into temptation and sin. Spend some time thinking about how you will use the wisdom of this verse to fight against the things you are tempted with.
- A lot of chapter 31 is about care for the poor, needy and fatherless. Why not spend some time thinking about how close to God’s heart these people are and also what part you are playing to provide for them.