Things to consider when reading the bible;
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there a principle to follow?
Thoughts to consider
- Have you ever been guilty of dismissing someone’s opinion because they are young? Be aware that old age does not necessarily equal wisdom. We would do well to not jump to conclusions and to listen to what is being said, whoever is saying it.
- It’s a fourth man’s turn (Elihu) to give his opinion about Job and even though he is more respectful and not so hurtful as the three ‘friends’ he still presumes to know rather a lot about God. Spend some time thinking how blessed we are to have the bible, God’s very words. We don’t have to try and guess what God is like by looking at nature or what happens to people. We can understand God’s ways and how he acts by reading it for ourselves.
- As in the book of Job, we live in a world where everyone has an opinion. A lot of these opinions have had elements of truth in them, but they are shaped by the person speaking them. Ask God that His opinion will have an ever greater influence in your life. That your opinions will be less important and His would become greater.