Things to consider when reading the bible;
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there a principle to follow?
Thoughts to consider
- This discourse by Elihu is the longest in Job. He is a young angry man and when you analyse it, he is not an awful lot different from Job’s 3 friends. There is a lot of presumption from all of them. They think they know God just from what they have observed from nature. Are you the same? Do you get your knowledge about God from other sources apart from the bible?
- What we have seen from these 4 men who have spoken to Job, is an extraordinary insensitivity to his plight. They are called ‘comforters’ with exclamation marks because they have done no such thing. Poor old Job has been suffering terribly and they just want to prove their knowledge and score points. We see from the bible that God’s priority is love and compassion and if these men presumed to know anything about God, that is what they would be demonstrating.
- We have now read man’s opinion in these 37 chapters. From tomorrow we will start to get God’s perspective and we will find out God’s ideas are quite a lot different from Man’s.