Read Matthew 14:22-36
Theme: life of Jesus
Click below if you want me to read this to you
22 Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24 but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. 25 And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”
28 And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
34 And when they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret. 35 And when the men of that place recognized him, they sent around to all that region and brought to him all who were sick 36 and implored him that they might only touch the fringe of his garment. And as many as touched it were made well.
Thoughts to consider
As you are probably aware we have been going through the life of Jesus chronologically as best as we can by piecing together all the evidence and events. Yesterday we looked at the tiredness of Jesus and disciples who still didn’t get any rest because the people got to their destination before them, Jesus then ministered some more by preaching for a number of hours and healing as well. Being already exhausted you would expect Jesus to go away for a good sleep but He doesn’t, He goes up on a mountain alone to pray.
- If Jesus needed to pray, how much more do we? Think about this in connection with your own prayer life, ask God to help you.
- Last time they were in a boat in a storm Jesus rebuked them, this time Jesus reassures them. Jesus knows we get fearful. If you are in a situation at the moment that causes you fear, listen again to the words of Jesus “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid”
- We can sometimes criticise Peter for his doubting when he started to drown, but I’m impressed that he gave it a go. Do you need to step out in faith today or in the coming days? If Jesus says “come” step out in faith (without fear) knowing that He is with you.
- This is yet more evidence that Jesus is God; He has control over the elements and He accepted the disciples worship.
- We see the people’s faith in Jesus has risen as they believe that just touching Jesus’ garment will heal them, they had probably learned that from the account of the woman with the issue of blood that Jesus had only recently healed. Allow your faith to rise as you read more of Jesus’ power to work miracles and His desire to do so.
Father I thank you for these examples of Jesus who treasured praying to You more important than sleep, Lord I pray that You will help me more and more to deepen my relationship with You. I thank you that spending time with You will bring rest to me anyway because it is from You where my strength comes from. As I read these passages and pray to You, please increase my faith, in Jesus name I pray, amen.